I finished another little project last week. This was a quick but adorable hat for a newborn baby.
Pumpkin Hat was an easy pattern to follow and turned out so cute. He turns three weeks old Monday and we tried it on him tonight and it fit. I modified the pattern by doing one less pattern repeat and I used a bulky yarn.
I have been a knitting dud this year. Seriously. I have four projects I would consider myself actively interested in right now. One project I should just frog. And another crochet project that I have such high hopes for but just forget to work on. And then there’s my sock. I think I should just make it a Christmas ornament because it’s never getting its match. I don’t think.
Anyway, the good news is that I finished my Mara shawl that started back in the spring at my knitting retreat.
I loved this pattern because it was easy to memorize and knit up super fast. Well until that ruffled edge. That’s well over 550 stitches of rib. Some nights after one row, my hands just hurt. But the ruffle looks pretty so I guess it was worth it.
I used a worsted weight yarn that I dyed with my friends and it was so fun to see the colors knit up.
It’s good that it’s starting to get cool because I’m excited to wear this. And maybe I’ll tackle the pockets on my Miele vest so I can actually finish something else. It is also seasonably appropriate.
Over the summer I decided it would be nice to have a smaller project after finishing my sweater. I had some Wolle’s Yarn Creations color changing yarn in my stash that I was really wanting to knit up and The Age of Brass and Steam seamed to be the perfect pattern to show off the beautiful color transitions.
I added one extra repeat of the pattern and then knit the garter stitch edge until I finished up the skein to be sure to make the most of all the wonderful color.
It’s much bigger than the original pattern but I love how the cotton fabric drapes. I’m very pleased with this project.
Check it out. An actual finished project! I finished knitting my Lemongrass sweater back in May. It just needed to be blocked and I had to sew on the buttons. But where’s the incentive to do that when you finish a sweater when summer is coming? So it was finished this week.
I used Austermann Murano which is a bulky self-striping yarn. It’s now discontinued so I got it at a discount. I purposefully made my yarn selection because as my first real sweater, I wasn’t confident I’d even get through it or that I’d even want to wear it.
But I did and I do because the pattern is so well written and easy to follow. I love the cable pattern down the front and the way the sides come together with buttons. The only changes I made were to the stitch used to increase for the arms and putting two buttons on each side.
So I’m pretty pleased with my big warm bulky sweater and even though I’m sad to see summer go, at least I can look forward to getting to wear this new sweater that I knit myself.
I changed the pattern a bit, omitting some of the straight knitting and purling rows between the cable and eyelet detail in favor of repeating the cable and eyelet rows an extra time. I like the way it turned out and think would have been even longer if I did it the way the pattern was written. I think my brim is shorter too.
This is the top. I changed the decreases ever so slightly so as to not be knitting the two stitches together at the end and beginning of the next row. I still think it looks pretty.
It feels so good to finally finish a project. I started the first sleeve of my sweater last night and I am very pleased with how it’s looking.
A few months ago, I discovered T-shirt yarn or tarn. I was checking out Wool and the Gang’s Jersey Be Good and finding myself wanting to buy tons of colors. But I restrained myself and instead started googling and learned how easy it is to make your own. I found some great tutorials like this one here.
It seemed like a great reason to clean out my closet and I grabbed some old T-shirts that were definitely ready to be recycled.
Here’s what I did.
First I cut the neck and arms off the flat T-shirt to make more of a rectangular tube. I folded it in half and began cutting one inch strips being sure to stop before I got to the folded edge.Here you can see the finished cut T-shirt with Willie. Cats are very curious about tarn making.
Next I began cutting alternating sides so that it became one long strip of fabric.
T-shirt is stretchy so you need to stretch it out so that the ends and corners fold in to make one long continuous strand that is a bit more uniform in shape.
And then you wind it into a ball to use for whatever project you wish.
I made four balls out of old T-shirts. I’ll likely make a scarf out of this for the spring once I finish some other projects.
And my next goal is to attempt to do some old flat T-shirt sheets. I hope to turn those into a rug.
It’s definitely best to have a person in mind when you are knitting up a project. I started working on a One Row Lace Scarf for a while. I used beautiful, soft Ella Rae Lace Merino and it was a great project to work on in a car or on a plane. But it was not going very quickly otherwise because I wasn’t sure who I wanted it to go to.
Then I was thinking of way to thank Nicky for sending me those cute stitch markers and immediately I knew. That scarf was for her! It flew off my needles over Christmas.
I love the way it turned out and I’m so glad it went to a good home. Enjoy Nicky!
I think I had a very successful knitting year. I knit a few bigger projects (my poncho and a baby blanket) and tried out some new things that I’d never done before (a stuffed animal and dog sweater). I made a couple things to donate for charity and others to give to some good friends.